Sweet Potato Maple Soup

by - October 28, 2012

I love this soup.  It's one of my favorites.  I went into a bit of trauma tonight trying to find the recipe and it took about an hour but I finally put my hands on it!  Yeah for me!  So, I'm posting the recipe for your benefit, because it's awesome, and for my benefit because I don't want to spend another hour looking for it!  So... here we go....


Sweet Potato Maple Soup

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup rinsed sliced leeks with tops
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cinnamon stick
pinch ground cloves
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger OR 1 tsp. ground ginger
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 cups peeled sweet potato chunks
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
plain yogurt OR sour cream for garnish

In a large pot melt butter and heat oil over med.-high heat.  Add onion, celery, leeks, garlic, cinnamon, cloves and ginger and saute for 5 min. until veggies are tender.

Add stock, sweet potatos and salt and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 min or until potatoes are soft.

Remove cinnamon stick.  Blend soup with a stick blender OR in batches in blender or food processor, until smooth.  Return to pot and add maple syrup and nutmeg. heat until warmed through.

Ladle into bowls and garnish each with yogurt. I usually drizzle a bit more syrup over each bowl! Makes 6 servings.

You May Also Like

0 comments