Saturday, December 21, 2013
Happy Winter Solstice! Just watched my Golden Retriever do the splits outside on the ice.... I told her the good news is that we are now heading towards summer! I think she swore at me but I can't be sure...
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
Day 17 ~ Garlic Roasting Day! All this yummy garlic is waiting to be roasted for Christmas gifts. Looking for how I roast it?? Super easy, check out my post HERE: http://www.thehippiemoose.com/2013/04/mmmmm-garlic.html
Monday, December 16, 2013
Christmas Peanut Brittle is all done....
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup water
1 cup peanuts
2 tbsp. butter softened
1 tsp. baking soda
1. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a heavy pot combine sugar, syrup, salt and water. Stir until all sugar is dissolved and bring to a boil. Stir in peanuts and place candy thermometer in pot (not touching the bottom of the pan). Stir frequently until it reaches 300 degrees F. (150 degrees C.)
3. Remove from heat and add butter and baking soda. Stir until butter is fully melted and soda is incorporated. Pour onto cookie sheet. If necessary use a spoon to space out peanuts. Cool completely. Break into pieces and store in a sealed container or bag for gift giving!!
Saturday, December 14, 2013
Hot Oatmeal bread just out of the oven...
Amish Oatmeal Bread
MAKES 2 LOAVES
1 pkg. of dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp.)
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar or molasses
1 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp butter
2 cups boiling water
5-6 cups flour
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water
2. In large bowl combine oats, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, and butter. Pour boiling water over all and mix well. When mixture is cooled to lukewarm stir in yeast.
3. Stir in approx. half of the flour. Knead in remaining flour in really large bowl or on floured surface.
4. Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double (about an hour). Punch down. Shape into two loaves and place in greased bread pans. Let rise again (45 min- hour).
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 min. Cool on rack, brush tops with butter for a soft crust.