MAKES 2 LOAVES
Saturday, December 14, 2013
Hot Oatmeal bread just out of the oven...
Amish Oatmeal Bread
1 pkg. of dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp.)
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar or molasses
1 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp butter
2 cups boiling water
5-6 cups flour
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water
2. In large bowl combine oats, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, and butter. Pour boiling water over all and mix well. When mixture is cooled to lukewarm stir in yeast.
3. Stir in approx. half of the flour. Knead in remaining flour in really large bowl or on floured surface.
4. Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double (about an hour). Punch down. Shape into two loaves and place in greased bread pans. Let rise again (45 min- hour).
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 min. Cool on rack, brush tops with butter for a soft crust.