The Vegetarian Pulls Beef

by - September 28, 2012



Yes, I am a vegetarian.  That doesn't mean I don't live with a bunch of carnivores.  I thought I would share my popular pulled BBQ beef recipe.  My family loves this and I like how versatile it is.  The first night I serve it on homemade buns, later I can make a shepherds pie with it, add it to pasta sauce, serve it over rice... etc. etc. You see what I mean.

Steph's Pulled BBQ Beef

1 cup sliced onions
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. prepared mustard
4 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. powdered)
1/2 tsp salt
3 lb roast

Whisk together the first 9 ingredients.  Place the roast in your slow cooker (I trim off excess fat first).  Pour the sauce over the roast, roll to coat all sides.
Cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-5 hours.
Transfer roast to a large plate/platter.  Cover to keep warm.  Skim any fat off the top of the sauce.  Place sauce in large frying pan. Bring liquid to a boil on med-high heat. Boil gently for 15 min. 
Shred the beef with two forks, add to the sauce.  Stir and serve.

I usually dump the whole thing back in the slow cooker to stay warm until I'm ready to serve.
This recipe is pretty forgiving, I have substituted ketchup for the tomato paste, apple juice for the broth, maple syrup for the brown sugar,

You May Also Like

0 comments