Who's butt is that in the window?

by - August 20, 2009

OK, so you're asking yourself "What craziness is this now?" Well. We are headed back up north and up to this point the kids have blankets covering the windows in their room. Tacky but functional. We have some guests coming and I thought "hey, maybe we should spiff up the joint!". Problem. Don't have the money for drapes BUT I do have a box full of thrift store jeans. BINGO!


For the big panels I cut the inside leg seam all the way up one leg and down the other. Then I stitched the two legs together to make one long panel. For smaller panels I cut down the hip seams and the inside leg seams and made smaller panels. This honestly took me about an hour to do enough for 3 windows. To hang them just shove a dowel through the belt loops. Some tips... Skinny jeans are not a wise investment... not enough material. Go for the biggest sizes they have. (I paid about $2 per pair of jeans and I used 6 pairs for the three windows) Beware jeans that narrow at the ankle, you get nice wide panels at the top and they narrow at the bottom. Boot let or wide leg jeans work wonders. I added some patched here and there but you could add anything, go crazy.


You May Also Like

10 comments

  1. Fantastic!!! I have never seen this before, you creative genius! AND I bet because of the thickness of the fabric they will be a great insulater when the colder weather comes...helping to keep you all cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girl's think they are very cool...what will you think of next with that creative mind of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this idea! Maybe you could even market these?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Steph! They look awesome and I'm sure they block out light perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Steph! Were we the guests?! I'm going to assume we were and feel honoured for being mentioned. :)

    Thank you again for your hospitality! We appreciate the four (or seven I suppose!) of you guys a great deal.

    And by the way, using the belt loops as taps for the drapes? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all!! They work really well! Like Holly said, they keep the chill out totally black out the room to give Dave and I a few extra min. of sleep!! I bought material for making potholders (like a batting with almost a foil insulation) and I might line them with that for when it hits REALLY cold up there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap! This is freakin genius! I love it. I'm gonna show this to Zeb and see if he'd like it for his room. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so creative! Too groovy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the comments! I guess Plato was right, necessity is the mother of invention.

    ReplyDelete