100th post... What I learned while my husband was away...

by - April 12, 2010

In honour of my 100th post I thought I would ramble about my weekend.  My husband has been away for three days and it rained for two of them. Nice. In case he doesn't believe me I took a few pictures....

I learned that I seem to get WAY more done when he's gone than when he's here.  Odd.  I had a few unfinished projects I decided to tackle in his absence.  The first was a chair that I bought at a junk shop (for lack of a better term) at least 10 years ago... OK 15 but who's counting.  I was inspired to do this by Brenda.  I read THIS blog posting the day Dave left and was completely in awe of her ability.
I learned that I can break my own rules...I have  a rule against painting wood.  So I stained it with blue milk paint.  You can still see the grain and details through it... but it's blue.  I consider this a fair compromise.  I learned that boys are a great help sanding.  Staining.. not so much.  Going with the grain seems completely and genetically beyond them. I blame my husbands DNA for this.
I also learned that even though they are boys the have very decided opinions on fabric so a 5 min. trip to the fabric store turned into 35.  The stripes were the compromise between the vision of three different personalities.  I also learned that stapling fabric with a electric staple/brad gun is pretty scary stuff with an 7 and 8 year old "helping" you.

I learned that tea tastes better in my new mug.  No.. it's not all in my head.  It really does.
I learned that once I start to paint it's REALLY hard to stop. 

I learned that when trying to fix your plastic dog head with expanding foam because your adorable sons smashed his nose in...... less is more.  There's a reason they call it expanding.

Finally, I learned that I really miss my man when he's gone.

You May Also Like

11 comments

  1. bahaha...sorry but I'm laughing hard at that poor dog and the foam...too funny!!
    Although I have complained many times about Mike's shift work..i do enjoy some evenings when he is gone b/c I get SO MUCH done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dog continued to look like he had a runny nose for three days. It was like taking care of a toddler again... except I used an exacto knife instead of a kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE what you did with the chair! It looks great. My mother always used to find wooden furniture in thrift stores and garage sales and refinish them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I'm glad you asked me about being gluten free on my blog! I am gluten free because I recently found out that I have non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS). It's a similar concept to Celiac's Disease, except it operates more like lactose intolerance. I get sick and get rashes on the crook of my arms when I eat gluten.

    If your Dr recommended you get tested for Celiacs then PLEASE DO IT! I don't know how much you know about Celiacs, but it is a damaging disease that can effect your intestines and lead to other issues like osteoporosis and cancer. But even if you test negative for Celiacs, I encourage you to look into the possibility of you having NCGS.

    My mom is a baker, so bread, carbs, and cupcakes are in my family so I feel you with your fears! But if you ever want to talk more about it or ask questions, my email is mrsmiser at gmail dot com. Feel free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, great post!! I am still laughing at that dog with the foam pouring out of it!

    The results of breaking the "no paint on wood" rule look awesome! I could never do that because Jason has the same rule. It's not quite the same when you break someone else's rule. He's pretty obsessive about it, too. Pretty much the only thing he looked for in a house when we moved was unpainted wood trim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE that chair! the color treatment is amazing. :)

    i get very little done when justin is away. probably because it's my time alone and i use it to veg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chair looks great. Great post laughed my ass off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey have you thought more about the gluten intolerance thing? Just curious what you decided to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That chair is so stinking amazing!!! i LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That poor plastic dog! Clearly it now has a lifelong nasal infection of expanding foam :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE what you did with the chair! I too have a rule of not painting wood...but...gotta say I like the comprise results:o)

    ReplyDelete