My Favorite Whole Wheat Bread

by - January 04, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I know I've posted a bunch of bread recipe's, and at the time they really are my favorite.  BUT.  My CURRENT favorite is this beautiful whole wheat from  the Amish and Mennonite Kitchens cookbook.  I like that it makes 4 loaves because my dudes can go through it no problem.  However, it also freezes well for those who can't scarf down that many carbs in a short time.  You can also half the recipe pretty easily.

2 pkgs dry yeast
4 cups warm water
1/2 cup soft margarine or butter
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp salt
6 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups white flour

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water
2. Combine margarine, molasses, honey, and salt in a large bowl.  Mix well.  Add yeast mixture.  Gradually add flour.  Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth.  Place in greased bowl and let rise until double.  Punch Down.  Let dough rest for a few minutes.  Shape into four loaves and place in greased bread pans.  Let rise about 1 hour. 
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Homemade bread...It's a thing of beauty.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi, I just wanted to thank you for a really interesting piece of work. I was just searching for people with similar interests and came across yours which I found really informative. It is refreshing to read a piece of work with substance, my interests are Human Rights and I am proactive in the rights of the Tibetan community in exile. I would like to follow your blog and would appreciate you checking mine out
    Thanks Tenzin Dasal

    ReplyDelete