Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow..

by - June 11, 2009


OK so last week we got some pretty freaky weather... and I hear we are not alone. We left for church and the sun was out, birds were chirping, dogs were snoring. We left the windows open so the dogs could have some fresh air and away we went...



We had just finished putting in our garden the day before. Her is a nice pic we did after a day of sweat and mosquito bites.




You can imagine our surprise when half way through Steve's sermon the blizzard began. Needless to say we raced home and we were lucky that the snow didn't actually go in the windows.


So here are a few pictures of that fateful day... we don't yet know the effects this may have had.. we tarped the whole garden for the rest of the day to keep the soil warm. Hopefully that will save our seeds.



So far we have planted heirloom sweetheart pumpkins, Navajo corn, sweet corn, peppers, onions, garlic, radishes, lettuce, spinach, a lotta herbs, Amish paste tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, bottleneck gourds (non-edible) for carving, sunflowers, rhubarb, strawberries, and peas. I still have a few things to put in, I should be done this weekend. SO... save those seeds and anyone who is interested we can swap for next year!!



One final note, inspired by Holly, I planted a butterfly garden from seed, I will let you know how I do with the flower side of things. I am happy to report we have a ton of trillium, I love a flower I don't have to do anything to get!


















You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. That is just NUTS. I really love the pic of you and the kids with the umbrella in the snow. Summer's taking it's good sweet jolly time in getting here, isn't it! And I imagine the nights up there still have a bite to them too - good for sleeping though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should note that by 2:30pm that same day it was well above 20 degrees and sunny. Freakish.

    ReplyDelete