Simple Bread

by - January 19, 2010


Here is the recipe I use with the boys for bread... I think they have made it enough times to almost be able to do it solo! (It's from the book: "From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens" by Good and Pellman). This goes out to fellow homeschool mama Jordin!



White Bread


1 pkg dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)


1/2 cup warm water


1/3 cup sugar


2 tsp salt


2 cups warm water


2 1/2 tbsp. melted shortening


6-7 cups flour




1. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.


2. In large bowl combine sugar, salt, water, and shortening. Add yeast mixture. Gradually add flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth. Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise 2 hours. Punch down. Divide into 2 portions and form loaves. Place in greased bread pans. Prick tops with fork. Let rise until higher than pans (1 1/2 - 2 hours)


3. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove to cooling rack. You can brush tops with butter if desired.


My FAVORITE bread recipe is posted HERE but is a bit more labour intensive and not appropriate for kids because of the boiling water.

A while back Mother Earth News did some articles about No-Knead Breads.... I really want to try this one.... I will let you all know how it goes...

You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. Is the Amish and Mennonite cook book mostly full of meat recipes or would it be worth while even for a vegetarian. (See as you don't eat meat yourself, I think you'd be a perfect person to answer this question!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm looks awesome! You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I will bring it to "Livingroom" for you to take a look at and decide for yourself!

    Cheryl... you are sweet, now if only I could sing like an angel! (Like yourself for instance!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful banner, in fact the page itself turned out great.
    It´s very peaceful for the mind and also the eyes.
    Can i make a sugestion ?
    The sound of birds would be really awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the suggestion bic... I will look for something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm....my Mom made homemade bread all the time when I was a kid. I can almost smell it..what a great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can NOT believe i havent commmented yet about this!!! I *LOVE* this bread!!!!

    ReplyDelete